Pages

Saturday 24 October 2009

*MIXTAPE ALERT* Sixties Girl Groups

The Chantels

I'm in love with the sixties at the moment so I thought I would make a mixtape of my favourite songs, and a few really good ones that I just found today, with you.

The songs and style really reflect the era that they were living in and what it was like for women. The girls sounded feminine, fierce and passive all at once. I love that contradiction because I believe one of the great things you can do with music is not always to challenge the status-quo but to acknowledge it. To honestly show society the twisted way it functions is the best cure for the ailments of this world.
I also can't say no to a good pop song. Kate Nash's new album is meant to be influenced by music of this era as well so look out for that when it comes out next year.

Tracklisting:
1. He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)- The Crystals
2. Give Him A Great Big Kiss- The Shangri-las
3. Dancing in the Street- Martha & the Vandellas
4. The Shoop Shoop Song- Betty Everett
5. You Keep Me Hangin' on- The Supremes
6. Be My Baby- The Ronettes
7. Chapel of Love- The Dixie Cups
8. Maybe- The Chantels
9. One Fine Day- The Chiffons
10. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave- Martha & the Vandellas
11. Remember (Walking in the Sand)- The Shangri-las
12. Then He Kissed Me- The Crystals
13. Please Mr Postman- The Marvelettes
14. (The Best Part of) Breakin' Up- The Ronettes
15. Baby Love- The Supremes



No comments:

Post a Comment