Phew, there is a lot going on this summer isn't there, first UK Feminista, then the Ladyfest Ten fundraisers, of which there is a great one next week, now fabulous online magazine The Girls Are have set up a competition where all female bands can win a chance to play at Ladyfest Ten this November in North London.
The winning band will be picked by a panel of judges which include The Other Womans' Ruth Barnes, Charlotte Richardson Andrews from Wears The Trousers and the legendary Viv Albertine. For those that don't know who Viv is she was a member of the amazing punk experimental band The Slits. Know you know, bow your head in shame for not recognising a genius when one is introduced to you.
This is a great opportunity for new, emerging bands, young musicians or girls in their bedroom with just a guitar, a head full of songs and access to put an ad on gumtree. That is the makings of a band right there. I've already written my Poly Styrene inspired ad looking for 'young punx that want to stix it together'.
To enter simply read through the following points:
- Bands must contain at least 2 people, and for the purposes of this competition, must be all-female.- Band members must be aged 18 +.
- Bands must be unsigned.
- Bands must pay a £10 non-refundable entry fee (which will be donated to Ladyfest Ten), and submit an Mp3, JPEG and band bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 Sept 2010.
- Download the rules and regulations & timeline PDF (right click here) and make sure you accept all the conditions.- Pay your £10 registration fee via Paypal (email@example.com)- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with:- Your Paypal transaction details
- Your Mp3
- Your band bio
- Your band Jpeg
- You will receive a confirmation email with an entry no, which you will need to note.- The panel of judges will deliberate on entries before releasing a short-list.
- You will be notified about whether or not you have made the shortlist on 21 Sept.
Good Luck x.x.x.