Pages

Monday 2 February 2009

Such a Drag...


I've been listening to LOADS and LOADS of Giant Drag recently and I don't even know where it came from. I suddenly went from respectfully admiring a band to having a full blown obsession with them.

Giant Drag are an indie band from California composed of singer/ guitarist Annie Hardy and, from 2003-2006, drummer/synth-player Micah Calabrese. I've had their album, Hearts and Unicorns, for a while now but it's only recently that I've realised just how amazing they are, and i can explain that in a 5 step plan titled....

Why Giant Drag are SO much cooler than you!!!
1. Heavy as f**k guitars throughout the record, see 'my dick sux' or 'High Friends In Places.' I really wasn't expecting this when I re-listened to the album again recently but it's full on throughout. It really fulfills my love of shameless nineties rock which leads me to my next reason.

2. They take inspiration from many artists of the alternative scene, including Nirvana, and Annie has been quoted saying that she just 'can't let go' of the nineties.

3. Annie can do the whole unstable, quirky, vixen thing better than PJ Harvey in the good old days.

4. Their cover of Chris Isaak's 'wicked game' is the kind that makes you completely forget the original.

5. They wrote a song called 'You Fuck Like My Dad.' Come on how can you not love them.


Cuz I'm just as awesome as Annie here's a few little tasters of the G.D. sound:

YFLMD

High Friends In Places

My Dick Sux

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the next Giant Drag album, until then you can listen to new song 'swan song' on their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/giantdrag

No comments:

Post a Comment